This invigorating DIY Grapefruit Mint Sugar Scrub is the perfect treat for your skin. It’s made with a few simple, natural ingredients and it can help slough off dry skin and moisturize rough areas.
There is something about citrus scents and the smell of fresh herbs that reminds me of a relaxing spa day. As much as I love going to the spa, it can get a little expensive, so I decided to create my own spa treatment at home!
This DIY Grapefruit Mint Sugar Scrub is made with a unique combination of grapefruit and mint that gives this recipe an energizing herbaceous, citrusy aroma! The grapefruit essential oil is the key ingredient in this recipe. Studies show that grapefruit essential oil can provide wonderful aromatherapeutic benefits. It can help relieve stress and reduce anxiety.
But the benefits don’t stop there – some studies suggest that grapefruit essential oil may help to reduce blood pressure. Results showed that grapefruit essential oil enhanced nerve activity that helped lower blood pressure. Researchers concluded that the primary active ingredient, limonene, likely contributed to these results.
Sugar Body Scrub Ingredients
- Sugar – White granulated sugar is perfect for sugar scrubs because the texture is fine and you most likely already have this ingredient on hand.
- Coconut Oil – A great oil, such as coconut oil, is necessary for locking in moisture and helping your skin look its very best!
- Herbs & Citrus Zest – Herbs and citrus zest add a beautiful color, scent, and texture to your sugar scrub. My favorite herbs to use are mint and rosemary, and I also love to add in lemon, lime, or grapefruit zest
- Essential Oil – Essential oils are the key to an effective sugar scrub. As mentioned before, they provide some amazing aromatherapy benefits, and they just smell amazing!
How to Make a DIY Sugar Scrub
In a large glass mixing bowl, combine the sugar, coconut oil, and essential oils. Mix thoroughly and toss in the finely chopped mint and grapefruit zest. If desired, add in a small amount of beet juice to add a beautiful pink color. Transfer your scrub to an air-tight glass container with a lid. Store your sugar scrub in the refrigerator or in a dark cupboard.
How to Use Your DIY Sugar Scrub
To reap the benefits of this DIY Grapefruit Mint Sugar Scrub, apply to clean, wet skin in a circular motion. Massage gently to stimulate circulation and rinse off the scrub with water only. For maximum benefit, I recommend using this scrub 1-2 times per week.
I recommend doing a skin patch test when adding new essential oils to your skincare routine. Citrus oils like grapefruit essential oil can cause photosensitivity, or an allergic reaction. Please consult a health professional if you experience any issues.
Always take precautions when using any oil-based products, especially while bathing or showering. Oil can make surfaces slippery, so it’s best to keep this in mind when applying this product.
How to Store a DIY Sugar Scrub
If storing at room temperature, a homemade sugar scrub will last at least one to two months in an airtight container, like a mason jar with a lid. If you want to keep it longer, try tucking it away in the fridge. When refrigerated, DIY sugar scrubs can last up to six months.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
I’d love to know! Please let me know by leaving a review below. Or snap a photo and share it on Instagram; be sure to tag me @beautifuleatsandthings.
DIY Grapefruit Mint Sugar Scrub
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup fractionated coconut oil
- 8-10 drops grapefruit essential oil
- 1 tablespoon grapefruit zest
- ½ tablespoon fresh mint finely chopped
- Optional: ¼ teaspoon beet juice for pink color
In a large glass mixing bowl, combine the sugar, coconut oil, and essential oil. Mix thoroughly and toss in the finely chopped mint and grapefruit zest. If desired, add in the beet juice for a beautiful pink color.
Transfer your scrub to an air-tight glass container with a lid. Store your sugar scrub in the refrigerator or in a dark cupboard.