Creamy Tomato Basil Soup is the perfect way to welcome the Fall season. Every spoonful provides a feeling of warmth and comfort…and of course, deliciousness!
Okay guys, this soup is my hubby’s absolute favorite! Which is very surprising because he is a meat and potatoes kind of guy! I was inspired to make this soup after attending a makeup update a few years ago. They served us a wonderful lunch, but all I could remember was this delicious soup! I honestly probably had about 3 bowls of that soup! Lol. Anyhoo, I loved it so much that I decided to make it at home. I searched for recipes and all of the recipes for creamy tomato basil soup contained ingredients such as heavy cream, butter, etc…everything that would not be conducive to obtaining my summertime beach body!
I experimented with a few ingredients and created this awesome, healthier, version of creamy tomato basil soup
This recipe is very easy to make! Just be sure to follow the recipe carefully and wait until the very end to add the almond milk. Milk will scorch very easily when cooked over high heat which is why it’s recommended to wait until the end.
Creamy Tomato Basil Soup
- 1 Tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 large onion diced
- 2 teaspoons of minced garlic
- 2-28 oz can of crushed tomatoes
- 32 oz of low sodium chicken broth
- 1/3 cup minced basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons of fresh or dried parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large sauce pan and sauté onion and garlic in olive oil.
- Place tomatoes and chicken broth in sauce pan with onions and garlic and bring to a boil. Add sugar, Cover and reduce heat to simmer for 20 minutes.
- With an emulsion blender, puree the soup until mixture is smooth. If you don’t have an emulsion blender, turn off soup and let cool for about 30 minutes. Pour half of soup in a blender and blend for about 1 minute. Pour the blended soup into a bowl. Take the remaining, unblended soup and add to blender. Blend for about 1 minute and add all soup back to sauce pan. It still may have a few chunks, but that is the best part of the soup in my opinion!
- Add basil, oregano, parsley, and simmer for an additional 15 min.
- Turn heat to LOW heat. SLOWLY add almond milk; season with salt and pepper as needed and serve!