Casseroles hold a special place in my heart! They are so warm and comforting! This Cheesy Cauli-Hashbrown Casserole provides that same warm goodness with half the calories!
I love cheesy casseroles! It’s just something about a this classic dish that makes me feel warm and cozy inside! I love making casseroles because they are easy and only require one dish; which means less clean-up for me! Yay! Whenever I’m testing a recipe, there are bowls (sticky bowls as my husband calls them), pots, pans, cups, etc…everywhere! I don’t know how it happens, because I don’t see the mess as I’m cooking …only when I’m done! Lol!
I’ve always loved hashbrown casserole! Ever since I had my first bite of this cheesy masterpiece at Cracker Barrel, I was hooked! I started making it at home and came pretty close their recipe! ( I honestly think that my recipe tastes a little better!) Even though I could eat hashbrown casserole everyday, (like, I seriously could), I know that it’s not the healthiest option, especially since a lot of the ingredients are so rich!
I made it my mission to “healthify” this recipe and add some wholesome ingredients to the mix! In most of my recipes, I like use plain non-fat Greek yogurt instead of sour cream. It cuts the calories and adds more nutritive value. I also like to cut my starchy components in half and add in more veggies. I like to increase my veggies every chance I get; mainly because I try to make sure that my kids get their daily recommend veggie servings. It’s tough getting most toddlers to eat their veggies, but when they are combined with their favorite foods (like cheese and potatoes) they will barely notice the veggies! I know, I know, that’s being a bit sneaky but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do! Lol! Try this recipe tonight! I’m sure that your family will enjoy it!
Cheesy Cauli-Hashbrown Casserole
- 3 cups cooked cauliflower chopped
- 4 cups shredded frozen shredded potatoes
- 1 can reduced fat cream of chicken 10 ½ oz
- 1 ½ cups plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1 onion diced
- ¼ cup of shredded sharp cheese to go in casserole
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheese for on top of casserole
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a large bowl, combine cauliflower, shredded frozen potatoes, cream of chicken, Greek yogurt, onion, and ¼ cup shredded cheese. Stir until all ingredients are combined. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread mixture in a 9x13 inch casserole dish. Sprinkle 1 cup shredded cheese on top and cover.
- Place in oven and bake for approximately 45-55 minutes or until potatoes are tender and fully cooked.
- Uncover and broil on high for 5-8 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!