Burgers will always be one of my favorite foods! These Completely Vegan Lentil Burgers allow you to enjoy this classic fave, but in a MUCH healthier way! Each burger contains so much plant based goodness, your body will thank you!
I’m super excited to share this recipe with y’all because I LOVE burgers!! I’m the girl that will go to a 5-Star restaurant and order a burger and fries! Lol! I’m serious! I can’t explain it, but I just like the satisfaction of biting into these huge, beefy sandwiches!! As we all know, eating burgers all day, every day is not the healthiest and would definitely NOT help me reach my weight loss goals! ?
[clickToTweet tweet=”I’m the girl that will go to a 5-Star restaurant and order a burger and fries! Lol! ” quote=”I’m the girl that will go to a 5-Star restaurant and order a burger and fries! Lol! ” theme=”style1″]
Yep, that’s right, me and the hubs are still going strong on our weight loss journey! Since we’ve adapted a much healthier lifestyle, I like to make food that my whole family can enjoy! I never want to make separate food for us and the kids. In my opinion, this sets a negative tone towards “healthier” food and I always want to be sure that my kids keep an open mind about ALL different types of food.
During the week, I like to switch up our meals. Some days we will eat vegetarian meals, or Asian inspired cuisines, or even vegan meals! Whenever I create a vegan recipe, I have to make sure that it’s GOOD! Let me explain something to you…my husband and kids will try different kinds of food, but they truly enjoy those familiar dishes like hamburgers, pizza, and mac & cheese. As a way to ease them into trying new things, I often add my healthy spin on those familiar dishes! Clever, right?! This is how the Completely Vegan Lentil Burger was born!
I tried and tested several veggie burger recipes! I knew that I wanted to keep this recipe totally vegan, so I wanted to experiment with different binders that didn’t include eggs… AND I wanted to keep the recipe very simple… AND delicious! Lol! I felt like I was asking for too much but I finally stumbled upon the PERFECT recipe!! Yayy!! I must say that this is seriously the BEST vegan burger that you will EVER eat!
I always like to provide the opinions of my husband and kids because they are some super tough critics!! If they don’t like something, they will tell me, instantly! My husband LOVED this Completely Vegan Lentil Burger and actually said that he preferred it over the traditional kind! Say, whaaat?! Lol! And my kids loved them too; mainly my 1 year old! He kept saying, “More, More!” ? I guess you can say this was a winner!!
Completely Vegan Lentil Burger
- 2 cups cooked green lentils
- 2 cloves garlic sliced
- 2 tbsp chopped onions
- 4 oz fresh mushrooms sliced
- 5 hamburger buns
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp yellow mustard
- 2 tbsp of vegetable oil
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- Salt/pepper to taste
- Pulse lentils in a food processor or blender. It’s okay if lentils are not completely blended; you want the mixture to be slightly course. Empty lentils into a medium bowl and set aside.
- In a medium skillet, on medium heat, add 1 tbsp of vegetable oil, garlic, onions, and mushrooms. Sautee until garlic is fragrant. Remove from heat and add to food processor or blender. Also add 1 hamburger bun, Worcestershire sauce, and mustard. Blend until slightly smooth. Mixture may not blend completely, but that’s okay. Do not add any additional liquid; this will make burgers fall apart during the cooking process.
- Add mushroom mixture to lentils and stir until all ingredients are thoroughly combined. Add garlic powder and season with salt/pepper to taste. Form into 4 patties.
- Heat a medium skillet on medium heat, and add 1 tbsp of vegetable oil. Place patties in skillet and cook for approximately 3-5 minutes on each side; until patties are brown.
- Place on hamburger buns and add your favorite toppings/condiments.