Savory Cheesy Meatball Mac & Cheese
- June 17, 2019
- 0 Comments
Thank you, Farm Rich, for sponsoring this post! As always, all thoughts and opinions are truly my own!
Did you know that it is National Soul Food Month?? Yep, it’s true…there’s an entire month (June) dedicated to soul food which makes me very excited!
In the African-American community, soul food has been connected to deep traditions and heritage. It’s something that brings our families together and it also creates memories that last for a lifetime!
Growing up, we had a tradition of eating a delicious, soul food dinner on Sundays! These huge family gatherings included my aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents, neighbors, church members….and anyone else that wanted to fill up on some good food and good company!
My favorite dish from these soul food dinners, was the macaroni & cheese!! I don’t mean to brag, but my family makes the BEST mac & cheese!! Luckily, my mom taught me and my sisters the family recipe, but to be completely honest, it takes soooo long to prepare! I guess that’s why it was so good!
Being a busy mom and wife, I don’t always have that kind of time so I created this super easy Savory Cheesy Meatball Mac & Cheese recipe! This recipe contains those familiar traditional, soul food flavors but it’s made in half the time! And it includes a very special ingredient…Farm Rich Homestyle Meatballs!!
My kids are HUGE fans of Farm Rich products. It’s considered to be one of America’s favorite frozen snack brands! You can find Farm Rich products in the freezer section of all major grocery stores, including my favorite store Piggly Wiggly, as well as online at Amazon Fresh and more!
Farm Rich has everything from Mozzarella Sticks, to Loaded Potato Skins, to Grilled Cheese Sticks and Meatballs! The Meatballs are absolutely amazing (and microwavable)! They contain 11 grams of protein per serving, and they’re made with hearty ground beef and savory pork! By adding them to my Savory Cheesy Meatball Mac & Cheese recipe, I was officially promoted to “cool mom.” This also makes this a very convenient, one-dish meal that’s perfect for those busy weeknights!
When making this recipe, I used several low-fat ingredients to lighten up this dish. By using items such as, reduced fat cream cheese, margarine, and skim milk, I was able to reduce the amount of total fat and calories per serving. As a Registered Dietitian, I always try to find a way to make my recipes just a little bit healthier, without compromising taste!
This Savory Cheesy Meatball Mac & Cheese has quickly become a family favorite, which makes it the perfect way to celebrate National Soul Food Month and enjoy time with your family over a good meal! Now tell me, how will you be celebrating National Soul Food Month?? I would love to know in the comments below!!
If you want more easy recipes and food ideas, be sure to follow Farm Rich @FarmRichSnacks on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest.
Savory Cheesy Meatball Mac & Cheese
- 1 lb large elbow noodles
- 1 (16 oz package) Farm Rich Homestyle Meatballs
- 1 cup 2% mild cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 and ½ cups white sharp cheddar shredded
- 4 oz cream cheese reduced fat
- 1 and ¾ cups skim milk
- 2 tbsp reduced fat margarine
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- Salt/pepper to taste
- 1 cup round butter flavored crackers crushed
- ½ cup 2% milk cheddar cheese shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook noodles per package directions and drain. Transfer noodles to a large bowl and add in 1 cup cheddar cheese, 1 and ½ cup white sharp cheddar, cream cheese, skim milk, margarine, and garlic powder. Stir gently until all ingredients are combined.
- Add Farm Rich Meatballs and season with salt/pepper to taste. Stir in egg and transfer to a 13×9 inch baking dish.
- Bake for 25 minutes (Meatballs should reach internal temp of 165°F). Remove casserole from oven and add crushed crackers and cheddar cheese for topping. Broil on high for 5 minutes, or until topping is melty and golden.
- Serve and enjoy!
Did you make this?
I’d love to know! Please let me know by leaving a review below. Or snap a photo and share it on Instagram; be sure to tag me @beautifuleatsandthings