This Cajun & Herb Slow-Roasted Turkey is the BEST turkey you will ever cook! This turkey comes out of the oven juicy, tender & delicious; making it perfect for any holiday table!
Thank you, Sprouts Farmers Market, for sponsoring this post! As always, all thoughts and opinions are truly my own!
Thanksgiving is right around the corner, so I decided that it was time to finalize the details and menu for my annual Friendsgiving Party! I started this tradition last year, and decided to keep it going this year and serve this amazing Cajun & Herb Slow-Roasted Turkey!
I’ll be honest and tell you that I’m typically a ‘Sides’ kind of girl but this Cajun & Herb Slow-Roasted Turkey recipe has completely changed my tune! This turkey is nothing like your traditional turkey recipe…it’s juicy, tender, moist, and includes an incredible spice rub that adds a little heat and a TON of flavor!
For this recipe, I purchased everything that I needed from Sprouts Farmers Market! I selected a variety of herbs, spices, and a few fresh veggies. I love shopping at Sprouts Farmers Market because they always have everything that I need and the employees are always super helpful!
Before you start the cooking process, keep in mind that this is a slow-roast recipe which means that this turkey will take at least 8-10 hours to cook. Some people choose to cook this recipe overnight and wake up to a perfectly cooked turkey, but you can certainly cook it during the day if you want to.
Before adding the spices to the turkey, I brushed it with a layer of butter and a couple of beaten eggs. This makes the turkey incredibly moist and it gives the outer layer the perfect crisp. Next, I mixed the spices together and rubbed them all over the turkey, making sure that I covered every nook and cranny. After that, I filled the pan with a little water and preheated my oven to 400 degrees F.
Cover the turkey with foil and roast for about 1 hour. Reduce oven temperature to 200 degrees F, baste the turkey with the stock from the bottom of the pan. Add 2 more cups of water if needed, cover and roast for an additional 7-8 hours. The great thing about this cooking method is that you don’t have to worry about basting every few hours. The low temperature and moisture from the water will cook it gently, keeping it moist and tender. When the turkey is done, let it rest for about 20 minutes before serving.
This Cajun & Herb Slow-Roasted Turkey was definitely the best turkey that I’ve ever tasted! The Cajun spices seemed to cook right to the bone, making every bite super flavorful! I can’t wait to serve this turkey at our Friendsgiving Party! Be sure to check out the full recipe below!
Cajun & Herb Slow-Roasted Turkey
- 1 12 to 14 lb. organic whole turkey, thawed
- 1/3 cup butter softened
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 onion sliced in half
- 4 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 2 tablespoons Cajun seasoning
- 2 teaspoons season salt
- 2 teaspoons Sprouts Cayenne Pepper
- 1 tablespoon Sprouts Paprika
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F, remove the innards from the turkey and rub turkey with butter. Place in a large roasting pan and brush beaten eggs on top of turkey.
- In a medium bowl, combine pepper, garlic powder, sage, rosemary, Cajun seasoning, seasoned salt, cayenne pepper, and paprika. Sprinkle generously over the entire turkey, making sure to sprinkle some of the seasoning mixture inside of the turkey.
- Place onion and bay leaves inside of the turkey.
- Add 2 cups of water to the bottom of the pan. Cover with pan with foil and roast for 1 hour.
- Reduce oven temperature to 200 degrees F, baste the turkey with the stock from the bottom of the pan (add 2 more cups any time it gets too low), and roast for an additional 7-8 hours. Don’t worry about basting; the low temperature and moisture from the water will cook it gently.
- After 7-8 hours, or until turkey reaches the appropriate food temperatures, remove from the oven and let it rest for about 20 minutes before serving.