Fried Green Tomatoes are a staple in the homes of most Southerners! This dish is the perfect appetizer or snack! Not to mention that they contain half the fat and calories in a traditional fried green tomato recipe!!
I absolutely LOVE fried green tomatoes! I can eat them for breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack, fourth meal, etc…lol! Even though I love this dish, I don’t always love the extra fat and calories that come from frying the tomatoes in copious amounts of oil! My version of fried green tomatoes provides the same great taste and flavor without compromising your waistline!
Oven Fried Green Tomatoes
- 3-4 green tomatoes that will yield 12 slices
- ½ cup of all purpose flour
- 2 tsp seasoning salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 egg whites
- Set oven to 350 degrees and spray a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
- Mix together flour and seasonings, making sure that all seasonings are distributed evenly. Set aside.
- Place egg whites in a separate bowl. Dip each tomato in the egg white and then in the flour mixture. Be sure to lightly coat both sides.
- Place on baking sheet. Bake for approximately 10 min on each side. Tomatoes should have a light brown crust on each side.
- If you want crisper tomatoes, bake for an additional 3-5 minutes on each side. Enjoy!