This Easy Roasted Beet & Garlic Hummus is so tasty which makes it the perfect addition to any party or snack menu!
Oh yeah, I’ve got the beet!! Lol! I know, I know…that was a pretty lame food pun, but I couldn’t resist! I’ve been experimenting with a few beet recipes lately, such as this Citrus Salmon & Beet Salad and this Coconut Beet Berry Smoothie Bowl…..so I was really excited to try beet hummus!
I’d seen beet hummus in the store and I was always intrigued by its beautiful color! Anything that looked that beautiful had to taste good, right?? I finally committed to the idea of making my own beet hummus after seeing the most beautiful, fresh beets in the produce section! I couldn’t wait to get them home and test out some recipes!
I knew that I wanted my beet hummus to have a delicious, roasted flavor, so I decided to roast my beets and fresh garlic cloves in the oven.
Here’s a little advice when handling fresh beets…
Beets have a very bright color and they can stain things very easily. I used gloves when peeling and chopping my beets because I didn’t want red stained hands! My hands get stained when chopping butternut squash, so I knew that I needed to be cautious with beets!
After I laid the beets and garlic on the baking sheet, I drizzled them with oil and seasoned them with salt and pepper. I baked them for about 30-40 minutes, until the beets were nice and soft. I let them cool for about 30 minutes before handling them.
Once they were cooled, I added all of my ingredients to my food processor and blended everything until it was nice and smooth. When making hummus, I love to keep a little texture. I like for it to be smooth, but not the texture of baby food…but that’s just my preference!
Once the Easy Roasted Beet & Garlic Hummus was done, I topped it with herbs, feta, sunflower seeds and a drizzle of olive oil! It was fantastic! I loved the earthy taste of the beets, paired with the chickpeas. And roasting the beets and garlic beforehand was probably the best idea ever! I can definitely see this Easy Roasted Beet & Garlic Hummus being added to our party menus in the future!
Easy Roasted Beet & Garlic Hummus
- 3 medium-sized beets peeled & chopped
- 6 garlic cloves peeled
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 and ¼ cup canned chickpeas
- 5 tbsp water
- 4 tbsp lemon juice
- 4 tbsp tahini
- Salt/pepper to taste
- Optional fresh herbs, feta, sunflower seeds, olive oil for toppings
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Spread beets and garlic cloves on a baking sheet. Drizzle with oil and season with salt/pepper to taste. Bake for about 30 minutes, or until beets are soft.
- Once beets/garlic are done, let cool for about 30 minutes.
- Add beets/garlic and chickpeas to a food processor and pulse until combined.
- Add water, lemon juice, and tahini to food processor and blend until smooth. Add more water if you would like a thinner consistency. Season with salt/pepper to taste.
- Top with fresh herbs, feta, sunflower seeds, and olive oil, if desired and serve!