Did you know that February is Heart Month?? That’s right, y’all! During the month of February, tons of health-conscious individuals and healthcare professionals come together to help raise awareness about the importance of heart health.
Thank you, Marie’s Dressing, for sponsoring this post. As always, all thoughts and opinions are truly my own.
As a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist, I like to raise awareness about heart health by encouraging nutritious food choices. One of my favorite heart-healthy foods to recommend is salmon.
Salmon is a great source of omega 3 fatty acids. The most common omega 3 fatty acids are EPA and DHA, which has been linked to several health benefits, such as decreasing inflammation and helping to lower blood pressure.
In addition to having several heart-healthy benefits, salmon is also a great source of protein and potassium. A 3-oz serving of salmon contains approximately 20-25 grams of protein and provides about 18% of the recommended daily intake of potassium for most adults.
PAN SEARED SOUTHWESTERN SALMON & ORZO
There are lots of different ways to prepare salmon, but my favorite way to enjoy it is in this Pan Seared Southwestern Salmon & Orzo recipe. It’s great for a quick, weeknight dinner option or for meal prepping! And thanks to my little secret ingredient, this recipe has quickly become a family favorite!
So, what’s the secret ingredient you ask??? Okay, okay, I’ll tell you…. it’s Marie’s Market Reserve Southwest Style Ranch Dressing. I love just love Marie’s Market Reserve Dressings! All five flavors are super tasty and under 60 calories per serving! These dressings can be found in your favorite grocer’s refrigerated produce section.
When making this Pan Seared Southwestern Salmon & Orzo, I started by marinating my salmon in the Marie’s Market Reserve Southwest Style Ranch Dressing before searing it. The creamy, fresh taste of the Southwest Style Ranch Dressing gave the salmon so much flavor.
Once the salmon was done, I removed it from the pan and sautéed my veggies and herbs. I added in the prepared orzo and a little bit more of the Southwest Style Ranch Dressing to make this dish seriously delicious! Once the orzo veggie mixture was done, I placed my salmon on top and dinner was ready!
This Pan Seared Southwestern Salmon & Orzo recipe was such a big hit! My family enjoyed all of those bold flavors and I enjoyed serving my family a delicious, heart-healthy meal! Go ahead and give this quick salmon recipe a try and be sure to be sure to visit https://maries.com and check out their fabulous collection of Marie’s Market Reserve Dressings! Happy Cooking!
Pan Seared Southwestern Salmon & Orzo
- 4 pieces salmon approx. 4-5oz each
- 4 Tbsp. Marie’s Market Reserve Southwest Style Ranch Dressing
- 16 oz orzo pasta
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper diced
- 2 Tbsp. fresh cilantro minced, plus more for garnish
- 1 cup black beans drained
- 3 Tbsp. oil
- ½ cup water
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- Salt/pepper to taste
- Prepare orzo per package directions. Drain and set aside. Season both sides of the salmon with 2 Tbsp. of Marie’s Market Reserve Southwest Style Ranch Dressing.
- Add 2 Tbsp. of oil to a large skillet over medium-high heat. Arrange the salmon, skin side down, in the pan. Cook for 5-6 minutes or until the sides are brown. Using a spatula, turn the fillets over. Cook for an additional 3 minutes or until the salmon reaches your desired doneness. Remove the fillets from the pan and set aside.
- Add 1 Tbsp. of oil to the skillet along with the chopped bell peppers, cilantro, black beans, and cook for 3 minutes. Add in orzo, cumin, garlic powder, paprika, water, and 2 Tbsp. of Marie’s Market Reserve Southwest Style Ranch Dressing. Stir and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Return the salmon fillets to the pan and place on top of the orzo.
- Garnish with additional cilantro, if desired, and serve.