This spicy fresh basil pesto is so easy to make, and it only requires a few simple ingredients! Add this pesto to pasta, bread, or even your favorite pizza for an incredible pop of flavor!
Fresh herbs make any meal more flavorful and beautiful. Whenever I have an abundance of basil, I always make a batch of my Spicy Fresh Basil Pesto! It comes in handy on those busy weeknights, when I’m searching for a quick and easy recipe. You can add a serving to pasta, salads, eggs, toasted bread, pizza, sandwiches… basically everything! And the best thing about this recipe is that it comes together in less than 10 minutes!
How to Make Basil Pesto
Traditional pesto is typically made with a blend of fresh basil, garlic, pine nuts, extra-virgin olive oil, and Parmesan cheese, but for this Spicy Fresh Basil Pesto recipe, I decided to put my own spin on it. I added Cajun seasoning for an extra kick of spice, and I used a combination of Parmesan cheese and Romano cheese for extra flavor.
I also used walnuts instead of pine nuts for a few added heart-healthy benefits. Surprisingly, walnuts are significantly higher in omega-3 fatty acids than any other nut, which may help to reduce heart disease and improve brain health.
To make the pesto, simply add all the ingredients to a food processor and pulse until combined. Store in an airtight container and place in the fridge for a few days. And that’s it! Super easy and super delicious!
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
I’d love to know! Please let me know by leaving a review below. Or snap a photo and share it on Instagram; be sure to tag me @beautifuleatsandthings.
Spicy Fresh Basil Pesto
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- ¼ cup freshly grated Romano cheese
- ¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 cloves garlic
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Pulse the basil, walnuts, cheeses, and garlic together in a food processor or blender. Scrape down the sides, then add the oil and Cajun seasoning. Pulse until everything is blended and relatively smooth. If desired, add a drizzle more olive oil to thin out. desired. Taste and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Store pesto in an airtight container and refrigerate for 3-4 days.
Serving: ¼ cup- Calories: 333 | Carbohydrates: 2g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 35g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Sodium: 156mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 0g