Whole Wheat Sausage & Veggie Pasta -$10 Healthy Pasta
- March 4, 2023
- 0 Comments
This $10 healthy pasta dish will quickly become a fan favorite! It comes together in less than 30 minutes and is extremely budget friendly!
With the cost of food steadily increasing, I decided to share a few of my favorite cheap, budget-friendly recipes with you, starting with this Whole Wheat Sausage & Veggie Pasta!
And I know what you’re thinking…how can the words “cheap and healthy” coexist?? I’m here to tell you that it’s possible! There are several ways that you can save money when shopping for nutritious foods:
How to Save Money When Shopping for Healthy Foods:
- Don’t be afraid to buy canned & frozen fruits and veggies. These items contain just as many nutrients as fresh produce. That’s because they are typically picked at the peak of ripeness and quickly sealed and packaged to lock in those nutrients.
- Buy generic. Store brands often are as good or better than the pricier name brand. If you want more reassurance, simply compare ingredients lists and Nutrition Facts panels.
- Do a quick inventory of your refrigerator at least twice a week. Find a use for everything before it goes bad. Toss wilting vegetables into a pot of soup or spaghetti sauce. Freeze leftovers for another day and ripe bananas for banana bread or smoothies.
- Keep a running grocery list. By keeping a list, you won’t have to run out for single items. Plus, fewer trips to the grocery store means fewer impulse buys and will help to save money on gas.
What You’ll Need to Make This Recipe:
- 1 lb of Whole Wheat Penne Pasta –$1.43
- 13oz Pack of Smoked Sausage –$3.46
- 2 Packs of Frozen Mixed Vegetables –$2.00
- 1 Onion –already had this at home
- Olive Oil –already had this at home
- Soy Sauce –already had this at home
- Garlic Powder –already had this at home
- Salt/Pepper –already had this at home
For this recipe, I used frozen mixed veggies instead of fresh produce, which were only about $1 per pack. I also used store brand items which helped to save me a lot of money.
Not only was this Whole Wheat Sausage & Veggie Pasta delicious, it was hearty & nutritious! It contains a good source of fiber, folate, Vitamin A, and Vitamin K! Try it and let me know what you think!
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
I’d love to know! Please let me know by leaving a review below. Or snap a photo and share it on Instagram; be sure to tag me @beautifuleatsandthings.
Whole Wheat Sausage & Veggie Pasta
- 1 lb cooked whole wheat penne pasta
- 12-14 oz smoked sausage sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 12oz packs frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 onion sliced
- ¼ cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- Salt/pepper to taste
- In a large skillet on medium heat, add in oil and cook smoked sausage until brown on both sides.
- Remove smoked sausage from the skillet and add in the onions and frozen vegetables. Cook until veggies are soft and tender. Add in the soy sauce and season with garlic powder and salt/pepper to taste.
- Toss in the smoked sausage and pasta and add in ¼ cup of water if needed to loosen up the pasta.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
Did you make this?
I’d love to know! Please let me know by leaving a review below. Or snap a photo and share it on Instagram; be sure to tag me @beautifuleatsandthings