Who doesn’t love a good ol’ potato baker?? This Ultimate BBQ Sweet Potato Baker is the mother of ALL potato bakers! Oh, and did I mention that all of this goodness is under 400 calories!!
It was a dark and stormy night…and there wasn’t a person in sight! Everything was quiet… except for the stomach growls of a very hungry dietitian and her hubby! Lol! This isn’t a complete exaggeration! After we put the kids to bed, we were sitting in the living room thinking about these HUGE potato bakers that we would eat at this restaurant called Al’s. Those potatoes were humongous and filled with cheese, bacon, butter, sour cream, more butter, more cheese, the kitchen sink, etc…lol. Being that we are making healthier food choices, we wanted to create a recipe that would help us stay on track and taste really yummy too!
We’ve always loved baked sweet potatoes and we would normally top them with a little butter and cinnamon. Nothing fancy, but this time we decided to amp things up a little bit! We decided to add barbeque chicken, crispy onions, green onions, and Greek yogurt to the mix! Y’all, this creation was probably the best thing since sweet tea…the best thing since liquid eyeliner…the best thing since the comeback of Will & Grace!! So I guess you understand that this Ultimate BBQ Sweet Potato Baker is the best thing ever! Lol!
This is honestly my husband’s favorite meal! He usually eats really fast, but he took his precious time when eating this because he wanted to savor every bite, lol! Each potato is well under 400 calories, making it the perfect recipe for those wanting something scrumptious during their weight loss journey or for those who just want healthier meal options! Try this recipe today, I’m sure that you will enjoy it as much as we do!
Ultimate BBQ Sweet Potato Baker
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 lb of boneless chicken breast tenderloin
- 1 tsp seasoning salt
- 1 tsp or garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup of your favorite barbeque sauce
- 4 tbsp of crispy fried onions
- 4 tsp chopped green onions
- 4 tbsp of nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Wrap each sweet potato in foil and place in a baking dish.
- Bake sweet potatoes for about 45 min or until soft.
- While sweet potatoes are baking, season chicken with garlic powder, seasoning salt, oregano, and black pepper. Heat skillet to medium heat and cook chicken for approximately 5 min on each side.
- Cover and reduce heat to low and simmer for 15-20 min. Chicken should be tender and cooked throughout.
- Shred chicken with a fork and add barbeque sauce. Be sure that sauce is evenly distributed throughout the shredded chicken. Cover and remove from heat.
- Remove foil from sweet potatoes and split potatoes to open. Top each potato with chicken, 1 tablespoon of crispy fried onions, 1 tsp of chopped green onions, and 1 tablespoon of Greek yogurt. Enjoy!!
- *Optional: Drizzle with an additional tsp of barbeque sauce if you want your potato extra saucy. Note that this will slightly increase the estimated nutritional info.