This Garlicky Kale Sausage Butternut Squash Pizza is the perfect combination of nutritious and delicious! It’s piled high with tons of yummy veggies and flavor!
Alright y’all, it’s confession time….I recently became a fan of butternut squash! Last year, I prepared the tastiest Butternut Squash Chili, which you can check out HERE, and I loved it but I wasn’t completely sold on butternut squash just yet! Then I made possibly the best-tasting Bacon Butternut Squash Soup (check out the recipe HERE) and became mesmerized by the taste! Yum!
And THEN, my mom brought me a random supply of butternut squash which forced me to make this addictive Garlicky Kale Sausage Butternut Squash Pizza! After that, I became hooked! Because I have about 10 more butternut squash sitting on my counter (thanks mom!), you will definitely see more butternut squash recipes, but I’m not sure if I will be able to top this one!
Besides being utterly delicious, butternut squash is loaded with nutritional benefits!
- It contains nearly half of the daily dose of vitamin C which can help to boost your immune system and contribute to healthier skin!
- In addition to Vitamin C, butternut squash contains a good amount of Vitamin A which can contribute to healthy eyesight!
- Last but not least, butternut squash may have anti-inflammatory effects! Because of its high antioxidant content, it may help to reduce the risk of inflammation-related disorders, like rheumatoid arthritis.
Who knew that butternut squash was such a superfood! That is another reason why I am now a huge fan!
Pizza is a favorite in our home! I’m always trying to get my kids to eat more veggies and pizza seems to go over very well! They get so stuck on the idea of eating pizza, that they don’t realize that it’s made with wholesome veggies…and I guess it helps that I like to add little extra cheese on top of those veggies! Lol!
For this Garlicky Kale Sausage Butternut Squash Pizza recipe, I started by sautéing my butternut squash, onions, garlic, and sausage. I wanted to soften the butternut squash a little bit before baking it in the oven. I also wanted to mesh those flavors together before adding them to the pizza.
Next, I sprinkled a generous amount of reduced fat mozzarella cheese on the pizza before adding my toppings. For a golden crispy crust, I added a little egg wash to the crust before popping it into the oven. It made it taste like it came from a fancy pizzeria restaurant! ?
*TIP: to really get a nice golden-brown crust, broil on high for about 2 minutes after the pizza is almost done!
Before you take the first bite, I must warn you….this pizza is truly heavenly and you might consume the whole thing! Lucky for you, this recipe makes 2 medium-sized pizzas! Lol! So go ahead, and have pizza night tonight! Your family will be pleasantly surprised by this Garlicky Kale Sausage Butternut Squash Pizza!
Garlicky Kale Sausage Butternut Squash Pizza
- 2 pre-made medium sized pizza crust
- 1 medium butternut squash cut into cubes
- 1 small purple onion sliced
- 4 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 lb ground turkey sausage
- 1 bunch of kale stems removed
- 2 cups reduced fat mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1 tbsp oil
- Salt/pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place pizza crusts on pizza pans and sprinkle 1 cup of mozzarella cheese on each pizza. Set aside.
- In a medium skillet, heat 1 tbsp of oil on medium heat and sauté butternut squash, garlic, and onion. When onions are slightly translucent, add Italian turkey sausage and cook until done. Be sure to break apart sausage while cooking. Toss in kale and remove from heat.
- Spread sausage and veggie mixture evenly onto each pizza.
- Optional: apply an egg wash to crust to give it a golden-brown finish!
- Bake for about 20-22 minutes and Enjoy!