Stay warm and cozy this holiday season with these Decadent Hot Chocolate Bombs! They are super easy to make, and they also make the perfect DIY holiday gift!
Alright y’all! Have you guys seen the new chocolate sensation that has taking over the internet! What am I talking about?? Hot chocolate bombs!! Hot chocolate bombs are hollow chocolate balls filled with hot chocolate mix and lots of marshmallows! Yum!
To see this magical chocolate bomb in action, simply pour steaming hot milk over the top and watch the chocolate melt away and release those marshmallows and hot chocolate mix into your milk. It’s so much fun and it makes a great holiday gift!
When these hot chocolate bombs first hit the internet, I began searching EVERYWHERE to get my hands on one, but couldn’t find a place close enough. And because they are so delicate, most shops were not offering a delivery option. I was completely bummed, until I got the brilliant idea to make my own!
EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO MAKE HOT CHOCOLATE BOMBS
This treat is really easy to make. First, make sure that you have the right molds to make the sphere shape.
I ordered these silicone molds from Amazon and they worked perfectly. Once you have the right molds on hand, you need to purchase a good quality chocolate bar or chocolate morsels. Since I’m a big fan of milk chocolate and white chocolate, I decided to get both. Next, stock up on your favorite brand of hot chocolate mix and mini marshmallows.
HOW TO MAKE HOT CHOCOLATE BOMBS
Because I’m not a famous chocolatier, I chose to keep this process very simple! I started by melting my chocolate in the microwave, and stirring it every 15 seconds until the chocolate was completely melted.
I used a spoon to place the melted chocolate into each mold, and the back of the spoon to smooth the chocolate around the molds. Place the molds into the refrigerator until set, and then remove the chocolate spheres from the molds and place them onto a baking sheet.
Fill half of the chocolate spheres with hot chocolate mix and marshmallows, and place the remaining spheres, one by one, into a hot skillet or hot plate for about one second. Immediately place on top of one of the hot chocolate & marshmallow filled spheres, and seal the two pieces together.
For more holiday recipes, check these out:
Place into the fridge until your ready to use them or package them up to give to someone special! If you decide to package these up as a gift, I highly recommend these cute sustainable containers. It comes with covers and labels to make the package look super festive! Check them out HERE!
HOW TO USE HOT CHOCOLATE BOMBS
Now that your hot chocolate bombs are done, it’s time to test them out and enjoy all of that chocolate goodness! Simply heat about 10 ounces of milk until it’s steaming hot, place the hot chocolate bomb in the bottom of a mug, and pour the hot milk on top. The hot milk causes the hot chocolate bomb to open up and allows the marshmallows and hot chocolate mix to escape! So delicious and so much fun! Enjoy!
For more holiday recipes, check these out:
Decadent Hot Chocolate Bombs
- 1 and ¼ cups milk chocolate morsels or 10 ounces of milk chocolate bar
- 1 and ¼ cups white chocolate morsels or 10 ounces of almond bark
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- 6 tablespoons hot chocolate mix
- 2 and ½ inch silicone sphere mold
- Place the milk chocolate morsels into a microwave-safe bowl and heat in the microwave about 2 minutes, stirring every 15 seconds, until completely melted. Repeat the same process with the white chocolate.
- Add a heaping tablespoon of melted chocolate into molds. Spread using the back of the spoon until each cavity is completely covered.
- Place in the refrigerator and let set for about 15 minutes.
- Remove molds from refrigerator, and press gently on the top of each sphere to carefully remove onto a baking sheet.
- Fill 6 spheres with a tablespoon of hot chocolate mix and couple of tablespoons of mini marshmallows, each.
- Warm a skillet or plate, and place the bottom of an empty sphere on the plate to lightly melt chocolate. Place melted chocolate edge on top of the filled half to seal.
- Optional: Decorate the hot chocolate bombs by drizzling a little melted chocolate on top of each bomb.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.