Who wouldn’t enjoy having pizza for breakfast?? This Whole Wheat Sausage & Veggie Flatbread Breakfast Pizza is packed with tons of flavor and healthy, wholesome goodness!
I have a little confession to make…I LOVE PIZZA!! I could literally eat it every night and my family feels the exact same way! Anytime we have pizza for dinner, my kids call it a pizza party! Lol! They especially enjoy making their own pizzas! I love to see their interesting creations lol! They’ve made everything from pretzel pizza to goldfish & peanut pizza! ?
Because we are a family of pizza lovers, I decided to broaden my horizons and create a breakfast pizza! That’s right, I’m hosting a pizza party for breakfast lol! For this Whole Wheat Sausage & Veggie Flatbread Breakfast Pizza recipe, I decided to use turkey sausage and pile on a ton of veggies!
One of my favorite veggies is kale! I absolutely love it! Besides being delicious, it’s actually very good for you too!
Did You Know…???
- A single cup of raw kale contains Vitamin A, Vitamin K, Vitamin C, Vitamin B6 and tons of essential minerals.
- Kale is loaded with antioxidants such as quercetin and kaempferol.
- Kale is high in Lutein and Zeaxanthin, which help to protect the eyes.
- Kale can help lower cholesterol and may reduce the risk of heart disease.
Now that you know the awesome benefits of kale, you can see why I wanted to include it in my Whole Wheat Sausage & Veggie Flatbread Breakfast Pizza recipe! I also added more veggies such as mushrooms, bell peppers, and onions!
To help keep this recipe light and nutritious, I decided to use a whole wheat flatbread, called Naan. Naan is a leavened, oven-baked flatbread found in the cuisines mainly of West Asia, Central Asia, Southeast Asia, and the Caribbean. I found pre-made whole wheat naan in the bakery section of my local grocery store. It made the perfect pizza crust!
To help reduce the fat content, I used ground turkey sausage and reduced fat cheese. And to top it off, making this the perfect choice for breakfast, I poured an egg on top and baked it for a few minutes until golden brown.
This Whole Wheat Sausage & Veggie Flatbread Breakfast Pizza turned out great and my kids thought that it was super cool to have a pizza party for breakfast! And the best part is that they didn’t even realize they were eating vegetables! I call that a win in my book! Give this recipe a try and let me know what you think in the comments below!
If you loved this recipe, check out these delicious breakfast options!
- Veggie Stuffed Egg White Omelet
- Swiss Chard Radish & Egg Breakfast Bowl
- Kale, Tomato, & Mushroom Egg White Frittata
Whole Wheat Sausage & Veggie Flatbread Breakfast Pizza
- 4 individual oval flatbread 6×8-inches
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 lb ground turkey sausage
- 2 cups kale chopped
- 1 small onion diced
- 2 cups fresh mushrooms sliced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 cup shredded Colby cheese reduced fat
- 4 eggs beaten
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- Salt/pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place flatbread on pizza pans and sprinkle 1 cup of cheese, evenly, on each flatbread. Set aside.
- In a medium skillet, heat 2 tbsp of oil on medium heat and cook ground turkey sausage until done. Be sure to break apart sausage while cooking. Transfer meat to a plate and return skillet to heat.
- Add kale, onion, mushrooms, and bell pepper to skillet and cook until veggies are tender. Add 1 tbsp garlic powder and season with salt/pepper to taste.
- Spread sausage and veggie mixture evenly onto each flatbread.
- Pour beaten eggs, evenly, onto each flatbread pizza and bake for about 10-15 minutes or until eggs is completely cooked and cheese is melted.